Household cover

The basis of any home insurance has always been the building and contents.  In todays world however this has now opened up to include a variety of additional areas of cover.  Jewellery, Works of Art, Sports Equipment, Photographic Equipment are just a few of the options that can now be included.  Specialist policies for High Net Worth Homes, Holiday Homes, Thatched Properties, Let Properties, Student Accommodation and Unoccupied Property are also available.

There are a few things to remember about home insurance.  The building should be insured for the rebuilding cost (to include site clearance and professional fees) not the market value.  The contents being covered for the replacement cost on a new for old basis with no reduction for wear and tear.

Here are a few words and phrases which you may find helpful...

  • Risk control services providing direct access to surveyors.
  • Contents The contents being everything you might take with you when you move.
  • Personal Possessions Items taken away from the home, jewellery, clothes, money etc.
  • Specified Items Items taken away from the home which are valued over a specified limit, normally £1500.